Hello again to all Vive shooter enthusiasts. I would again like to share a little DIY project I whipped up last night. I recently tried out Onward. It has been looking like a good game that may develop into something even greater. I was given the final push to buy so I could participate in UKrifter's Community Event. Unfortunately I ran into a little trouble with my first DIY Buttstock. #1 The Vive itself was hitting the stock making it difficult to aim down the sights of some of the guns. #2 I was having difficulty grabbing the magazines off some of the exotic Bullpup style guns like the Steyr AUG, Famas, and P90. This made it hard to reload those weapons. Again the stock was getting in the way. This called for a redesign.
This time around, I again used a block of foam rubber. I needed to make much larger cutouts than before to better accommodate the Vive, controllers, and reloading. This made the foam thin and weak in places. I decided to reinforce it with cardboard. I chose these softer building materials to keep both myself and my room safe. Lets face it. We are blind to the outside world and often hit ourselves and our stuff while getting frantic in the VR space. Happily I was able to achieve most of what I wanted to with this new build. The Vive no longer hits the stock. I am able to easily grab the magazine off the P90 and reload it. I also maintained the functionality of the controller as a simple controller. I didn't build a complete rifle because it would get in the way of picking things up and interacting with game environments. All good so far. Unfortunately I still struggle to reload the Steyr AUG and Famas. I couldn't make the cutout on the bottom far enough forward without weakening the stock too much. Ohh well. I guess you can't win them all. Anyway, I am very happy with the build. I hope it inspires you guys to build something of your own. It is really easy and only takes simple tools.
Here is a link to my old build thread: http://forum.vrspies.com/t/rifle-butt-stock-attachment-for-htc-vive-controler-diy/468
Here are some pictures of my new build: