Well I'm back! Turns out that my Windows 10 Registry was screwed so I went all scorched earth on my system drive and formatted it lol
Now everything is working fine, including my FBX models made with SketchUp. I've decided to continue with more props for now and then go on to UV Unwrapping and texturing them later (because UV Unwrapping is a pain in the arse and I want to avoid it for as long as I can lol).
When you start the game your character is sitting in his pilot's seat after receiving a distress signal, and then will instruct his ship computer to dock with the ship, Nakamura's Pride, that's in trouble. When this this happens Nakamura's Pride's weapons systems lock on to your ship and damage it. Your ship's computer manages to make an emergency landing in the docking bay.
So I'm going to work on the props that make up that first room in the ship, the docking bay itself and your ship. I've already done some storage crates and a desk and I woke up this morning wanting to do a shuttle craft. So now I know that SketchUp models work fine with the Unreal Engine I should be able to knock something up quite quickly I reckon.
After I've done the shuttle craft I'm going to work on the docking bay itself, a chair for the desk and then start work on the inside of your ship (which is going to get damaged preventing you from doing a runner lol).
I'm starting off by drawing a rectangle that's 50cm wide and 30cm high for one of the engines. I've then drawn 4 guide lines 5cm from each side that you can see here:
Then I've drawn a circle from each point in all 4 corners:
Then I've deleted the corners and then the circles leaving me with a rectangle with rounded edges:
Then I'm going to want the body of the shuttle and another engine on the other side. So for the body of the shuttle I've drawn another horizontal guide halfway through the first engine, and another vertical one 20cm away from the engine to mark where the start of my rectangle is going to be. Then I've drawn a rectangle that's 2.5m by 1.9 meters, added two guides to the bottom left and right corners, drawn two lines and deleted the corners to create the shape of the bottom of the body of the shuttle:
And now I've just added the second engine and that's the bottom of the shuttle finished!
Going to have a bite to eat and then carry on, the top of the shuttle is next and then I can use the Push Pull tool to extend that shape outwards and connect the engines to the body. Not too sure what I'm going to do with the front yet so I'll think about that while I'm having my tea.
So glad that I got this working, SketchUp has increased my workflow to ridiculous levels!