Just realised I've deleted a couple of posts following that one. At least I think so. Lesson number one, don't start developing and updating a Dev Blog if you're a diabetic and are having a hypo lololol Whoops
So I'll try and remember what I posted and repeat most of what I said in the following posts here.
The problem with those turns AFTER I sorted out rotating the circle is that the straight and dead end corridors have 30cm thick walls, and my rooms will have too. This means that I'm going to have collision issues when I try and fit them together.
To get around this I need to add a line to the arc at each end parallel to the Red and Green Axes, giving me 50cm of corridor before the turn starts.
So you use the Line tool to draw a 50cm line at each end of of the arc parallel to the Green and Red Axes and then use the Select tool to select the arc, hold down Shift and click on the first extra line I've drawn to add that to the selection. Then select the Follow Me tool and click on the front face to draw the first part of the turn. Then you tumble the camera around to the back face and do the same thing for the second 50cm line. And I end up with this:
This causes another issue. When SketchUp creates shapes and faces there's always a front face which is coloured white and a back face which is coloured gray. When importing front faces into Maya there isn't a problem because they appear white in Maya...but back faces appear in black so you can't see the edges, vertices or faces.
The first part of me using the Follow Me tool worked out fine because I was using the front face of the corridor template so the arc and straight are white, but the Follow Me tool for the second part of the turn was performed on a back face so appears in gray because that's effectively and entire back face. You can see the gray part of the model in the first screenshot below.
Luckily SketchUp has an easy way around this. All you do (before you use the Follow Me tool for the back face) is choose the Select tool, double-click any part of the back face to select it all then right click and select Reverse Faces from the menu that comes up (second pic below). The gray bits will turn white. Then use the Select tool, select the 50cm line, select the Follow Me tool and click on what is now a front face and you'll see the white addition to the model (third pic below):
Now all that's left to do, as the third screenshot shows, is to clean up the model by deleting lines and adding one to the pillar type thing that's appeared. Just adding one line there fills in the gaps by making faces. And by the time you've faffed around doing that you end up with the finished product below:
Thankfully I won't have to fuck about with back faces when I do my t-junction and crossroads, but I think I'm going to have to use components and/or groups so I need to do a little bit of research before I start on those I think.
Still, not going too bad so far!
Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon lol Not a complete disaster but there's two problems and fixing one should fix them both. But it means starting again with a new template and doing all of these corridors again. Good job SKetchUp makes these sooooooo quick and easy
Once problem I've found is that the scale is off when you export from SketchUp and import into Maya and the Unreal Engine. And not by a little bit lol. 1 metre in SketchUp is 1 centimetre in Maya and the Unreal Engine
The other problem I realised after I was trying to do my T-junction, and it's my quarter circles in each corner of the corridor template causing problems. Some of them are at different angles which meant after I had split my template into 4 parts the Follow Me tool was playing up because (like my first problem with it ages ago) they weren't square. Easy solution, I thought. Just rotate the buggers. Easy. Nope.
The standard practice when using the Follow Me tool is to have the line to follow either attached to the face or, more common, to have it at the Midpoint of the face. When I rotated them by 7.5 degrees the side of the division that wasn't square rotated by 7.5 degrees, and the next division below was square. Great. Hunkey dory. Until I realised that because I had rotated the thing the edge that was now square was no longer attached to the model.
So I've decided to start again right from the beginning with my corridor template. This time I've multiplied everything by 100 and also changed the width of the template from 1.75m to 176m. Just thought it made more sense to have numbers that are easily divisible by 2.
The increase in size also means that I can put the lines and arcs for the Follow Me tool halfway into the face that the Follow Me tool works on. On the previous scale I was working with the smallest unit possible was 0.01m so I couldn't have the lines and arcs halfway through the faces.
Anyway, I'll be back to it tomorrow